I have never discussed this before but a while ago, Ryan and I joined in on the coupon thing. It started as us just using coupons for the things we were already buying. Then we started using coupons to replace things we previously used with new items that there are usually coupons for and now? Now we go to the grocery store the night before double coupon day to scope out the sales and see how our coupons will measure up. The next day we go and use our coupons which usually double to $2 per coupon. It's truly amazing when you watch the price go down.
People keep asking me to tell them how to do it but we are still somewhat beginners so we don't have many tips BUT I will tell you exactly how you coupon the way we do!
1: Find your coupons! From the newspapers, online and anywhere else you can find them such as the coupon dispensers at the store. If there is a good coupon at the store we tend to take a few for a later date.
2. Find out your local grocery stores coupon policy. They usually have them on their website but if they are a local store they may not have a website so you will have to either call or ask in store. Go to the one with the best policy.
3. Find out when double coupon day is. The best double coupon deal is if they will double ANY coupon (which is basically unheard of) or will double up to $1 (which doubles to $2 per coupon).
4. Shop the sales. The night before double coupon day, go and find out what is on sale to get the most bang for your buck! We are saving more by doing that!
5. Don't buy things you wont use unless you are getting them free. Donate what you don't use to a local food bank!
6. Make a budget and don't go over it for the sake of saving 50 cents!
Most importantly HAVE FUN! And share your savings! You never know who might start saving money because of you!
Just for fun, here's our stockpile :)
And here's our best buys from today! Yes, we went out in the 10 inches of snow to coupon. We can't miss double coupon day!!! 4 containers of Silk, 4 bottles of dressing, 2 mustards, ketchup, 2 pizzas, 2 bags of cheese, 4 puffs, 5 boxes of noodles, 2 jars of Alfredo, 2 jars of spaghetti sauce, 2 things of salt, Nature Valley bars and Fiber One bars for under $30!
Hope you're inspired! Let me know if you have any questions! Happy couponing!